Thursday, June 10, 2010

Do You Know Someone Who is Wondering, How do I Start a Blog?

Then, to help them, have them read this! =)


The first time I encountered a blog, I had done a Google search for a bread recipe. Instead of turning up at all recipes, or recipezaar I ended up in a blog. It's a sad story that I do not remember who that blogger was. But she was famous, and made really good bread. As I looked at her blog, and all the others that I found that same day, I found myself asking, "How do I Start a blog?"
Really, starting a blog is very simple. Here are 4 steps you take when you are ready to start blogging.

Think of a name, a theme, and a niche. When starting my blogs this was the hardest part. Your name is what draws your readers in, your theme determines who will be reading your blog, and your niche determines what you will be writing about. Think about what your passions are. Think about what you could write about daily and not get bored of. Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? She created a niche, cooking Julia Childs recipes. And because of that she created a following.

Decide who you want to host your blog. There are two main blog hosting venues out there. Blogger and WordPress. The pro's and con's of choosing one of these over the other could be a whole other article, so do your research and decide which is best for your purposes. Usually, when just beginning to blog, most people start with blogger because it is free.

Create Your Blog! Once you have chosen your hosting venue, it is time to create your blog. You will want to decide what kind of layout you want. Following that it is time to upload a bio about yourself, pictures that go along with who you are and what you are blogging about. The truth is, your blog will be constantly getting better as you continue to blog. There are always new widgets to install and new blogging communities to join.

Start blogging! Writing on your blog isn't where "blogging" stops. You will need get out there and start making friends. You make blog friends by reading other peoples blogs who are in your same niche, and comment, comment, comment! This is a mistake I made with my very first blog. I just thought people would "find" me. The internet is too big for people to just "find" you. You have to do some work to get found. For example, understanding key words, back links, and social bookmarking will help your blog get found and read. I ended up getting discouraged and quitting that first blog, I don't want that to happen to you!

I hope this helped you answer the question, "how do I start a blog?" I am by no means an expert, but I have helped many people start blogs and I would love to help you! I am learning new techniques to build my blog every day. To listen to Free How to Blog Videos head here!

To learn more about how to get more followers and optimize your blog, head Here!
Bookmark and Share